It’s information that bears repeating: dry and dehydrated winter skin needs special care. Indoor air from furnaces along with harsh cold air and wind can exacerbate symptoms of dry skin and cause skin to become dehydrated.
There’s a difference between dry skin and dehydrated skin. In the simplest terms, dry skin is a skin type which displays a lack of oil, and dehydrated skin is a skin condition which displays a lack of water. Symptoms can overlap, but dry skin isn’t necessarily dehydrated, and vice versa. For example, oily skin types can become dehydrated (I speak from personal experience on that one). Read more about the difference between skin type and skin condition here.
Dry skin is characterized by a lack of oil production, making skin appear dull and feel tight or uncomfortable. A thin layer of lipids (found in oil) is needed on the skin to protect it from the elements and prevent signs of premature aging. Dry skin is genetically predisposed to produce insufficient amounts of oil. This lipid barrier is also responsible for retaining water in the skin, which is why dry skin is commonly followed by dehydrated skin.
Dehydrated skin is characterized by a lack of water content, exhibited by fine lines and crepe-y texture, along with a lack of firmness. Dehydration occurs most commonly when the skin’s barrier function has been compromised. This barrier function flaw can be caused by many things; lifestyle choices (smoking, alcohol consumption, poor diet), using harsh cleansers, sun damage, exposure to dry or cold air, or simply having a dry skin type.
Here are the top Bonnie products to treat symptoms of dry and dehydrated skin:
- Hydrating Strawberry Cocoa Mask. This limited edition mask is formulated for dry, dehydrated, and sensitive skin. Hyaluronic acid and resveratrol penetrate to plump skin cells and promote hydration and collagen production. Extracts from strawberry, aloe, and sea kelp provide nutrients and minerals to help calm redness and inflammation, leaving skin visibly smooth, conditioned, and hydrated.
- Cleansing Balm & Moisture Mask. This advanced formula does double duty on dry skin. As a cleanser, it removes makeup and oil without leaving skin stripped. As a mask, it delivers deeply nourishing moisture to help relieve dry skin symptoms and promote resilience.
- Resurfacing Enzyme Mask. Instantly improve skin texture and tone with this gentle enzymatic exfoliant. Dull, dry surface cells are removed, revealing fresh and smooth skin. A selective blend of herbal extracts encourage skin cells to retain moisture, improving firmness and elasticity.
- Fortifying Facial Moisturizer. This daily-use moisturizer is ideal to treat symptoms of both dry and dehydrated skin. Non-comedogenic emollients and herbal extracts help fortify skin’s barrier function and prevent damage from oxidative stressors.
- Multi-Vitamin Facial Serum. Boost radiance with a potent blend of vitamin-dense oils. Adding a few drops to your daily moisturizer delivers nutrients that have a targeted effect on tone, texture, and firmness while delivering high levels of moisture.
- Herbal Skin Tonic. Spritz this lightweight blend of floral waters throughout the day to quickly combat the effects of dry winter air. Hyaluronic acid and Iris florentina extract improve hydration levels at the cellular level to keep skin looking refreshed.